Mineola DUI Attorney
Experienced Long Island DWI Lawyers Working for You
Prosecutors and law enforcement officials do not often acknowledge it, but political pressure forces them to prosecute certain crimes more harshly and zealously than others. Driving While Intoxicated (DWI), called Driving Under the Influence (DUI) in many other jurisdictions, is just such a crime. Even the lesser offense of Driving While Ability Impaired (DWAI) can have serious and lasting effects, and recently cases involving Boating While Intoxicated (BWI) have received serious attention.
If you face charges following a DWI or DWAI arrest, you should expect the prosecution to come at you with everything they have. You and your attorneys must be prepared to fight back with the same.
Schedule your free initial consultation with a New York DWI attorney today!
Charges with Which a New York DWI Lawyer Can Help
Drunk driving charges carry very serious consequences. You could face:
However, there are several protocols that law enforcement must follow in order for DWI or DWAI charges to be valid. As with all crimes, the police must have probable cause or reasonable suspicion in order to stop you in the first place. They must follow the letter of the law in the execution and analysis of roadside intoxication tests. They must not violate your Constitutional rights at any point in the process.
The New York DWI lawyers at Collins Gann McCloskey & Barry PLLC understand these protocols, and how they can work for you in court.
Field Sobriety Tests
There are 3 individual tests that make up The Standardized Field Sobriety Test (SFST):
- During the Horizontal Gaze Nystagmus (HGN) test the officer will move a pen back and forth and observe the person's eyes to see if there are any signs that the person is iintoxicated.
- For the Walk-and-turn test the officer instructs the person to walk about nine steps in a straight line, turn around and the come back.
- In the One-leg stand test the officer will ask the person to stand with one foot in the air. They will then have to hold it until the officer asks them to put it down.
While administering these tests, the officer is looking for indicators that the person is impaired. Some of the most common signs they look for are loss of balance or swaying, using their arms to help balance, not following instructions properly and more.
Many Ways to Fight a Drunk Driving or Drunk Boating Charge
There are certain tactics that a knowledgeable attorney can use to fight criminal DWI or DWAI charges.
And these are just the tip of the iceberg. At Collins Gann McCloskey & Barry PLLC, our Long Island DWI lawyers possess decades of combined experience strategizing and executing solid, ethical DWI and DWAI defenses. Let us begin tailoring your defense today.
What You Should Know When Arrested for DUI
DWI (Driving While Intoxicated) and DWAI (Driving While Ability Impaired) are serious matters that carry significant penalties and practical restrictions on your life. A conviction on such charges can lead to a jail sentence, probation or fines, and can leave a dark stain on your reputation and professional persona that you may never erase. If you drive for a living, you could easily lose your job. And if the conviction is not your first, the penalties may be far harsher than you realize.
When you face such charges, it is essential that you retain an attorney who understands the criminal DWI and DWAI laws in the applicable jurisdiction as early as possible. In Nassau County, you need to contact Collins Gann McCloskey & Barry PLLC.
What to Do after Your DWI Arrest
DWI or DWAI conviction can seriously and permanently affect your future. If you have been arrested on such charges, there are a few essential steps you must take and things to be aware of to protect you rights.
- Seek legal representation immediately, but be sure to find an attorney experienced in these types of cases. A lawyer who is unfamiliar with DWI and DWAI defenses is not much good to you. The criminal defense attorneys at Collins Gann McCloskey & Barry PLLC thoroughly understand the current drunk driving laws and penalties in New York State, and have successfully handled hundreds of DWAI and DWI cases in the New York metropolitan area. We have worked hard to establish a reputation as defense attorneys who aggressively fight for our clients.
- Do not speak to the police without first consulting an attorney. The section of your Miranda rights that says anything you say can be used against you in a court of law is more than just an old cliché. The less you say to the police, the less likely you will inadvertently hamper your case.
- Do not drive if your license has been taken away. Doing so will only increase the penalties you face. If you obtained legal counsel in a reasonable time frame, you may even be able to fight to have your license restored.
- Recent high profile cases involving Boating While Intoxicated (BWI) have resulted in tougher treatment for those who boat after drinking too much. The lawyers at Collins Gann McCloskey & Barry PLLC can help you navigate the rough waters of a BWI case.
New York DWI & DUI Attorneys Working on Your Behalf
At Collins Gann McCloskey & Barry PLLC, every one of our lawyers uses his or her experience as a former prosecutor to defend clients against a broad range of criminal charges throughout metro New York, including DWI and DWAI. Contact us today online or at (516) 218-5131. You can reach us 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
You are a blessing to John and to our family.- Former Client
Thank you for the efforts you and your team put forth on my behalf.- Kevin
Thank you David Barry and Marc Gann for everything!- Former Client
I can’t thank him enough for protecting me from false statements.- Larry
I felt very comfortable and confident that he had my best interests at heart- Michele
SEVEN FIGURE SETTLEMENT MOTOR VEHICLE ACCIDENT
CHARGES DROPPED WITHOUT ARREST RAPE ALLEGATIONS
CONVICTION VACATED AND CHARGES DISMISSED DEPORTED AFTER GUILTY PLEA IN 2005
SIX FIGURE SETTLEMENT JOGGER HIT BY MOTOR VEHICLE
DISMISSED DRUG CASE
DISMISSED INTOXICATED DRIVING CASE
DISMISSED FELONY DRUG CASE
JURY ACQUITTAL 84-COUNT INDICTMENT
DISMISSED AGGRAVATED HARASSMENT
JURY ACQUITTAL ARMED ROBBERY