Theft & Burglary Charges in Nassau County
Help from Long Island Criminal Defense Attorneys
When someone enters or remains in a structure with the intent of committing a crime, that person can be charged with burglary. And when a person knowingly takes the property of another person or business without the owner’s consent, that person is guilty of theft. These are serious crimes that incur serious penalties. In New York State, for example, all burglary charges are considered felonies, and the burglary of a residence is considered a violent felony even if nobody is even home.
If you or a loved one faces such charges, you must appreciate the serious consequences of a conviction. Contact an experienced criminal defense law firm like Collins Gann McCloskey & Barry PLLC to defend your rights.
One Crime, Three Possible Charges
In the Nassau County legal system, there are actually three different types of burglary charges. Each carries its own unique set of penalties.
Types of Burglary:
The three types of burglary are First, Second and Third-Degree Burglary.
- Third-degree burglary occurs when an offender enters or remains in a structure with the intent of committing a crime. This is a class D felony, and carries the least severe charges of any type of burglary.
- Second-degree burglary occurs when a burglary at a residence injures or threatens bystanders. This class C violent felony can result in up to 15 years of imprisonment.
- First-degree burglary occurs within a residence and involves an offender armed with a deadly or dangerous weapon, or one who injures or threatens to injure a bystander. This is a class B violent felony carrying a maximum 25-year prison term.
You Need Experienced Legal Counsel to Protect Your Rights
The attorneys at Collins Gann McCloskey & Barry PLLC are all former Assistant District Attorneys. We have practiced on Long Island for a collective term in excess of 60 years. As such, we understand how seriously enforcement officials and prosecutors take burglary and theft charges. We are equally serious about defending our clients against such charges. Our lawyers know:
- How prosecutors structure their case against you, and what evidence they may use
- How to minimize the impact of questionable prosecutorial evidence on your case
- Tactics to negotiate a plea bargain or reduce charges
- How to convince judges and court officials that certain evidence is inadmissible or irrelevant
Burglary & Theft Charges Require the Services of an Experienced Criminal Defense Attorney
Charges of burglary or theft in Nassau County carry serious penalties. Let the Long Island criminal defense lawyers at Collins Gann McCloskey & Barry PLLC help defend you against such penalties. Contact us today online or at (516) 218-5131.
You are a blessing to John and to our family.- Former Client
Thank you for the efforts you and your team put forth on my behalf.- Kevin
Thank you David Barry and Marc Gann for everything!- Former Client
I can’t thank him enough for protecting me from false statements.- Larry
I felt very comfortable and confident that he had my best interests at heart- Michele
CONVICTION VACATED AND CHARGES DISMISSED DEPORTED AFTER GUILTY PLEA IN 2005
SIX FIGURE SETTLEMENT JOGGER HIT BY MOTOR VEHICLE
CHARGES DROPPED WITHOUT ARREST RAPE ALLEGATIONS
DISMISSED INTOXICATED DRIVING CASE
DISMISSED DRUG CASE
DISMISSED FELONY DRUG CASE
JURY ACQUITTAL 84-COUNT INDICTMENT
DISMISSED AGGRAVATED HARASSMENT
JURY ACQUITTAL ARMED ROBBERY
JURY ACQUITTAL ASSAULT CHARGE