Motorcycle accidents are almost always devastating since bikers lack the protection that drivers of passenger vehicles have. Unfortunately, many crashes involve other drivers, which is why it is important to understand the most common causes of motorcycle accidents to avoid them.
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), nearly half of all fatal motorcycle accidents involved another vehicle. Approximately 77 percent of two-vehicle crashes involving a motorcycle resulted in the motorcycle being struck in the front, and 41 percent of motorcycle accident involved the other vehicle making a left turn and the motorcycle either passing the vehicle to traveling straight.
The following are the most common causes of motorcycle accidents:
- Drivers failing to yield to motorcyclists – Since motorcycles are compact and small compared to passenger vehicles, drivers often fail to see bikers, especially if they are not paying attention to road conditions.
- Distracted driving – Whether it’s texting while driving or eating and drinking, when a driver’s attention, hands, and eyes are distracted from the primary task of operating a vehicle and a motorcyclists nears their vehicle, they may fail to see the motorcycle.
- Drunk driving – Many motorcycle accidents are caused by intoxicated motorists.
- Drivers tailgating motorcyclists – Since motorcycles are lighter than passenger vehicles, they can stop at shorter distances. If a car is tailgating, then a rear-end collision will most likely occur.
- Drivers striking a motorcyclist’s blind spot – Drivers are required to look to see if a lane is open and check their mirrors before changing lanes. When drivers fail to perform the “head check,” they may end up crashing into a motorcyclist in their blind spot.
- Drivers failing to judge a motorcyclist’s speed – Drivers may not be sure how fast a motorcycle is traveling and misjudge switching lanes or turning on an intersection.
Since there are many ways a driver can cause an accident, they should be held responsible for their negligent and reckless actions. At Collins Gann McCloskey & Barry PLLC, our legal team can investigate your accident, gather evidence, negotiate with insurers, and help you recover your entitled compensation.
Injured in a motorcycle accident in New York? Contact us today at (516) 218-5131 and request a free consultation.